Large wooden paddle used with copper kettle for the purpose of making candy. It has a long handle and a wide bottom, resembling an small oar. The bottom of the paddle is slightly angled to accommodate the curve on the inside of the kettle. The wood is dark and discolored at both ends, and shows some pitting at the paddle end - evidence of years of use.
Cupid Candies is a family owned business, founded by Paul Stefanos in 1936, and has been manufacturing quality chocolate and serving Chicagoland residents in our own retail stores for the past 68 years. The first store was at 79th and Ashland, where only fudge, toffee, and popcorn were sold. By 1940 Paul Stefanos, and his wife Pauline, opened another store at 3207 W. 63rd Street, along with a small manufacturing facility, where the chocolate line was expanded. By using only the finest ingredients-dairy cream and butter, premium nuts, real chocolate and natural flavors- a practice we still use today, the company had grown into what local residents remember from their childhood-a candy store where the chocolates are made fresh daily-never frozen.
Paul Stefanos passed in the year 2000, and the youngest of his three children, John Stefanos, took over the business.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact email@example.com
Ladle, CUPID CANDIES, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/6627. Accessed 06/27/22.