Yellowed Valentine's Day black and white newspaper advertisement for Cupid Candies, Chicago. Across the top of the ad, there is a black banner with white writing on it announcing that Valentine's Day is February 14th. Beneath the banner, "Cupid Candies" is written in a scripted font with the picture of a small cupid to the left. Underneath Cupid Candies, is a large picture of an opened heart-shaped Valentine's Day box filled with assorted chocolates in paper cups. Prices for Valentine's Day specials are on the right. A large logo along with a list of locations is displayed at the bottom 1/3 of the ad.
Cupid Candies is a family owned business, founded by Paul Stefanos in 1936, and has been manufacturing quality chocolate and serving Chicagoland residents in our own retail stores for the past 68 years. The first store was at 79 th and Ashland, where only fudge, toffee, and popcorn were sold. By 1940 Paul Stefanos, and his wife Pauline, opened another store at 3207 W. 63 rd Street, along with a small manufacturing facility, where the chocolate line was expanded. By using only the finest ingredients-dairy cream and butter, premium nuts, real chocolate and natural flavors- a practice we still use today, the company had grown into what local residents remember from their childhood-a candy store where the chocolates are made fresh daily-never frozen.
In 1946 the manufacturing facility was moved to 3143 W. 63 rd Street, to accommodate the growing business. By 1956, once again, it became necessary to expand. A new plant was built at 7637 S. Western Avenue, which is still the current manufacturing plant. At that time "old fashioned" ice cream shops were added to the Cupid Candy stores. Currently two locations, 4707 W. 95 th Street in Oak Lawn and 9420 W. 143 rd Street in Orland Park, offer a complete sit-down and carryout soda fountain service along with the candy stores.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Ad, Newspaper, April 12, 2013, 1936 – 2013, CUPID CANDIES, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/6286. Accessed 11/28/23.