This jewel is composed of two pieces of metal attached by a link. The top piece is a an olive wreath with a banner across the center. The banner is outlined in blue and has Theta Pi (the chapter's symbols) in Greek lettering in the same blue. Crossed gavels swing from the bottom of this wreath. On the back is the word "Pasbuale" stamped in tiny letters.
This pendant was made in 1945 for the president of the new chapter. This jewel was presumably used by the Presidents of the chapter from its inception in 1945 until the group disbanded (c.a. 2006) when it was donated by Julia Mavrogianis.
The crossed gavels identify this jewel as that of the president according to the Daughter's of Penelope Manual of Instruction. The crossed gavels symbolize double strength and force,in her capability of leadership and signifies service in highest office of Chapter. The donor seems to have confused this jewel with that of the Vice President which only has one gavel.
Meetings and ceremonies of the Daughters of Penelope began with the officers ceremonial donning their jewels and ended them by taking the symbols off. These are worn on large collars of light blue velvet that are trimmed with white cored and lined.
The word "Pasbuace" is stamped onto the back with tiny letters. There is a good chance this is the manufacturing company perhaps Pasqual & Co.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact email@example.com
Pendant, March 4, 1945, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/7616. Accessed 02/27/21.