Object ID
2006.33.6
Object Name
Pendant
Date Created
March 4, 1945
Event
The founding of chapter #133
Material
Metal
Object Entities
Object Description
This jewel is composed of two pieces of metal attached by a link. The top piece is a an olive wreath with a banner across the center. The banner is outlined in blue and has Theta Pi (the chapter's symbols) in Greek lettering in the same blue. An open Bible swing from the bottom of this wreath. The book is identified by the words "Holy Bible" at the top of the pages these are the only two real words on the pages, the rest are small scratches. On the back is the word "Pasbuale" stamped in tiny letters.
Origin
This pendant was made in 1945 for the president of the new chapter. This jewel was presumably used by the Priestesses of the chapter from its inception in 1945 until the group disbanded (c.a. 2006) when it was donated by Julia Mavrogianis. The Bible symbolizes the priestess' sacred duty to attend to the altar and offer prayer at theopening and closing of each meeting according to the Daughters of Penelope Manual of Instruction (http://ahepa.org/uploads/dop/DOP_Protocol.pdf). Meetings and ceremonies of the Daughters of Penelope began with the officers ceremonial donning their jewels and ended them by taking the symbols off. These are worn on large collars of light blue velvet that are trimmed with white cored and lined. The priestess also lead a prayer at the beginning and end of all ceremonies. The word "Pasbuace" is stamped onto the back with tiny letters. There is a good chance this is the manufacturing company perhaps Pasqual & Co.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.

Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy.

For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact nhmcollections@hellenicmuseum.org
Citation
Pendant, March 4, 1945, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/7619. Accessed 03/08/21.