This jewel is composed of two pieces of metal attached by a link allowing movement for the two pieces. The top piece is an olive wreath with a banner across the center. The banner is outlined in blue and has Theta Pi (the chapter's symbols) in Greek lettering in the same blue.Crossed swords with floral decorative embelleshments at the tips of the handles hand from the link bellow the wreath. These swords have long blade and short grips with thick cross gards so that the swords resemble crosses. On the back is the word "Pasbuale" stamped in tiny letters.
This pendant was made in 1945 for the president of the new chapter. This jewel was presumably used by the Sentiels of the chapter from its inception in 1945 until the group disbanded (c.a. 2006) when it was donated by Julia Mavrogianis.
The donor identifies this jewel has having belonged to the Inside Sentiel. However, according to the Daughters of Penelope Manual of Instruction the inside sential's pendent only had one sword to indicate her duty to guard the entrance of the Chapter room at all times. Another identical pendent (2006.33.9) is labeled as having belonged to the outside sentiel; there is no reference to this position in the manual. (http://ahepa.org/uploads/dop/DOP_Protocol.pdf).
Meetings and ceremonies of the Daughters of Penelope began with the officers ceremonial donning their jewels and ended them by taking the symbols off. These are worn on large collars of light blue velvet that are trimmed with white cored and lined.
The word "Pasbuace" is stamped onto the back with tiny letters. There is a good chance this is the manufacturing company perhaps Pasqual & Co.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact email@example.com
Pendant, March 4, 1945, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/7621. Accessed 01/24/21.