Metal olive wreath with a metal bar across the top to enclose the circle formed by the wreath. The wreath has a bow at its base. A metal banner runs diagonally across the open middle of the wreath. Upon the banner is a blue line running along both the top and bottom edges. The banner also contains the Greek "theta" and "pi" symbols in blue. Hanging from the base of the wreath are two crossed batons. On the backside there is an embossment of "PASQUALE."
Donated by Julia Maurogianis. The pendant is an "officer's jewel" that was worn by chapter officers of Daughters of Penelope. This jewel was worn by the Chapter Marshall (denoted by the crossed batons) at Daughters of Penelope meetings. The "theta" and "pi" symbols on the jewel banner are the symbols for Harris Chapter #133. The crossed batons are intended to signify the marshall's directorship in expediting the orders given by the presiding officer of the meeting. The Harris Chapter #133 was officially formed July 15, 1945. Chapter #133 is no longer in existence. Daughters of Penelope is a national women's organization started in 1929. The organization promotes Hellenism, education, philanthropy, civic responsibility, and family & individual excellence. The embossment of "PASQUALE" on the backside of the jewel is the maker's mark, possibly that of B. Pasquale & Co. of San Francisco.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Pendant, March 4, 1945, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/7603. Accessed 09/22/21.