Object ID
1997.46.6.1
Object Name
Photograph
Date Created
April 30, 1948
Event
Easter
Object Entities
Harris, Angeline (is related to)
Object Description
View of interior of Annunciation Cathedral Alter, Epitapheo, from balcony.
Origin
Centrally located near the heart of the city, the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral is the oldest church edifice built specifically as a Greek Orthodox Church in the Metropolis of Chicago. Established by the original Greek Orthodox community in the city in 1892, the church was built on its present site in 1910 and faithfully models the Byzantine-Renaissance style of architecture. Throughout its sacramental life the community and her clergy have served every level of society through a wide range or programs and services. As Cathedral for the Metropolis of Chicago, the church serves as a focal point for major Metropolis ministries such as the "Feed the Hungry" program, the Bishop's Task Force on AIDS and Metropolis and Clergy conferences. As cathedral, the Church of the Annunciation is the seat of the Metropolitan of Chicago, spiritual father and bishop to sixty parishes and two monastic communities in the states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri and Wisconsin.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.

Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy.

For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact nhmcollections@hellenicmuseum.org
Citation
Photograph, April 30, 1948, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/3398. Accessed 02/24/21.