Object ID
2012.23.10
Object Name
Menu
Object Collection
Material
Paper
Object Entities
Grill, Ramova (owned by)
Dinos, Tony (is related to)
Miller, Ward (is related to)
Gertos, Bob (is related to)
Gertos, Bill (is related to)
Object Description
A Ramova Grill menu from June 2012. It is only one page with print on one side of the paper that is a orange color. The top of the menu has "Ramova Grill," the address, phone number, "Serving you since 1929," and logo. The menu includes various things such as the Good Morning Special, their famous pancakes, their home-made chili, and Chili To Go.
Origin
The Ramova Grill opened in Chicago in 1929 and after 82 years it shut down in 2012. Tony Dinos was from Greece and moved to the United States in 1960 where he started working at the Ramova Grill, his first and only job he has ever had in the United States. He started out as a dishwasher but once he learned English better his uncle, Pete Gertos, promoted him to cook and four years after that he bought in and owned part of the place. In 1965, while working at the grill, Dinos met Liberty Sfondels, whom he would marry just two month later and are still married to this day. The Ramova Grill was known for their pancakes and chili. Dinos got the chili recipe from the original owners and will not give the recipe to anyone, not even his son-in-law who owns a diner in Indiana. Dinos and his partner Bob Gertos have decided to close the grill after working there for 52 years to spend more time with family and travel.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.

Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy.

For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact nhmcollections@hellenicmuseum.org
Citation
Menu, Ramova Grill Collection, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/8846. Accessed 09/19/21.