• 01220083753.JPG

Object ID
2008.37.53
Object Name
Block, Printing
Date Created
20th century
Material
Lead; Wood
Object Entities
Damianos, John (is related to)
Object Description
Rectangular wood and cast lead print block. The print image is a layout of Greek text. At the top and center is a Greek word that translates to "school certificate." The word has decorative embellishments around the letters. "School Certificate" is separated from the rest of the text by a divider design of four lines situated below "School Certificate" in the center. Below the divider are two areas of Greek text, one on the left side and one on the right side, divided by open space. The right-hand area contains three lines of text. The second line of text is offset to the right of the first and third lines and is followed by an opening brace ({) that extends to the first and third lines. The second line text is an abbreviation that translates to "number." The first line translates to "control" and the third line, "school registry," each followed by dotted lines. The left-hand text contains two lines of text. The first line reads: "School Year." The second line is: "19....--19...." The rest of the text is situated in a paragraph layout. Within the text are fifteen (15) blank spaces provided by dotted lines. The rough translation of the text states that the student had fulfilled all the course requirments provided by the school and was deemed worthy for graduation and advancement to the "upper school."
Origin
Donated by John Damianos. The printing block was used in a linotype printing machine. Linotype presses allowed for the casting of entire lines to be printed at a time. Linotype printing was eventually succeded by lythograph printing and computer typesetting during the 1960's and 1970's. This printing block was used by the Chicago-based, Greek Art Printing Company. This printing block was used, in combination with 2008.37.3, to print grade school graduation certificates for the Socrates School. The school started in 1907 when the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church of Chicago began offering Greek language classes at the famous Hull House. The Socrates Greek School opened in 1908 and was renamed the Socrates Greek American School after an English curriculum was added in 1917. The schools successor institution is the Hellenic American Academy in Deerfield, Illinois.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.

Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy.

For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact nhmcollections@hellenicmuseum.org
Citation
Block, Printing, 20th century, Greek Art Printing Company Artifact Collection, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/9968. Accessed 04/16/21.