Rectangular wood and cast lead printing block. The print image is dominated by a landscape of the Acropolis in Athens flanked by large billowing clouds. Visible atop the Acropolis are the ruins of the Parthenon, Propylaia, and Erechtheion. In the foreground are images of trees and buildings. In the bottom right corner is the image of a Greek temple with a banner with Greek text reading: "The Acropolis of Theseus."
Donated by John Damianos. The printing block was used in a linotype printing machine. Linotype presses allowed for the casting of entire lines to be printed at a time. Linotype printing was eventually succeeded by lithograph printing and computer typesetting during the 1960's and 1970's. This printing block was used by the Chicago-based, Greek Art Printing Company. This printing block was used for the printing of numerous materials for various persons and organizations. The block was used for the printing of a sponsor page for Assumption Sr. G.O.Y.A. (whether it is for Assumption Church in Racine or Chicago is unknown) in the program for the 1969 Greek Orthodox Youth of America, Diocese II, District 1 conference that was held in Lincolnwood, Illinois. The print block was used for an advertisement for the Parthenon Restaurant in the program for the St. Demetrios Sr. G.O.Y.A.'s production of Dimitri Psathas' comedy, "The Curmudgeon." Psathas was a Greek satirist and playwrite who lived from 1907-1979. "The Curmudgeon" was made into a motion picture titled, "The Grouch," in 1952, and again, under its Greek title, in 1969. Greek Orthodox Youth of America is the national youth ministry of the Greek Orthodox Church of America. G.O.Y.A. is for junior high and high school children and seeks to promote fellowship, service, social activity, and Greek Orthodoxy to Greek-American teenagers. The print image is used on a letter from the Greek-Americans for Carey inviting people to come to a fundraiser and support Bernard Carey in his 1972 run for being elected State's Attorney of Cook County. The image is also used on the cover of the program for The Greek Committee To Aid The Immigrants' Protective League's Seventh Annual Benefit held on June 14, 1948. The Greek Committee was formed in 1940 to assist the Immigrants' Protective League in interpreting its work in the community and to assist with the cost of helpling immigrants not just of Greek origin but of all nationalities. The image is also used in an advertisement for the Hellas Cafe-Bar in the program from the Hellenic Student Association of Roosevelt University's Annual Dance. The Hellenich Student Association of Roosevelt University was founded in 1956. The objectives of the Association are: to bring all Greek Students together and provide them with a forum for discussion of the problems in this country; to create a better understanding of the Greek culture and spirit among thier American fellow students and the society in whole, and to assist Greek student financially or otherwise to complete thier education. The image is also used in the printing of sponsor pages for the family of Mr. Theofilos Savrides, of New York, in the Dinner-Dance programs of the Philanthropic Society "Neo Skopos." The image is also used in a sponsor advertisement for the Dekalb County Packing Company in the program for the 1st Annual Dinner-Dance for the Old Greek-Town Businessman's Association, as well as for flyers for the Parthenon Pastry Shop at 3433 W. Lawrence Avenue, Chicago. The Acropolis is the ancient citadel of Athens, Greece. Atop the Acropolis are the ruins of the Parthenon, the Propylaia, and the Erechtheion. The Parthenon is a temple dedicated to Athens' patroness, the goddess Athena. The Propylaia is the gateway to the Acropolis. The Erechtheion is a temple dedicated to both Athena and Poseidon. The Acropolis is also referred to as The Acropolis of Theseus due to the legend of Theseus, the hero of Athens, who is said to have fortified the Acropolis. The temple in the lower, right-hand corner is not the Parthenon, but the Temple of Hephaestus judging by the number of columns visible. The Temple of Hephaestus is located in Athens and is also known as the Temple of Theseus due to the belief at one time that the remains of Theseus were housed in the temple.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact email@example.com
Block, Printing, 1948 – 1984, Greek Art Printing Company Artifact Collection, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/9836. Accessed 06/21/21.