Wooden and cast lead printing block. The printing block is of left aligned text in three lines. The first line reads: "HOLY TRINITY." The second: "GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH." The third: "of CHICAGO."
Donated by John Damianos. The printing block was used in a linotype printing machine. Linotype presses allowed for the casting of entire lines to be printed at a time. Linotype printing was eventually succeded by lythograph printing and computer typesetting during the 1960's and 1970's. This printing block was used by the Chicago-based, The Greek Art Printing Company. The Holy Trinity Greek orthodox Church was established in 1897 as the first permanent Greek Orthodox church in the Midwest and only the third in the United States. It continues as a parish today, located at 6041 West Diversey Avenue in Chicago. The Church played a large role in establishing Greek language classes at the Hull House starting in 1907. The classes were intended to instill Greek language, cultural ideals and faith in the children of Greek immigrants and to perpetuate these same values to thier new homeland in the United States.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Block, Printing, Greek Art Printing Company Artifact Collection, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/9778. Accessed 06/06/23.