The certificate is bordered in yellow with blue leafy designs over that. Around that is a gold outline. In the top center there is a circle with two holy men, in togas with beards, one has brown hair and one with white hair. Both men have halos that shine in the light of sun rays, coming from a yellow orb at the top of the depiction. A dove flies in front of the sun. The center circle is blue, outlined in gold. Around that is printed "In the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost," in Greek on the left and English on the right. On either side of that, fair angels are depicted on blue background holding wreathes and banners that say "This is a Great Sacrament," once again in Greek on the left and English on the right. At the bottom of the document, the actualy documentation is in Greek on the left and repeated in English on the right. It is signed by several people including the Pastor and the Best Man. The bottom is stamped with a blue stamp, half in English and half in Greek for the Greek Orthodox Diocese of Chicago.
A marriage certificate for Andrew and Chrisanthe Calas from Kiti or, Crete. They were married in Racine, Wisconsin under the Diocese of Chicago on July 11, 1926 at the Kmisis Theotokou church. They were joined in holy matrimony with the Greek Orthodox Cuhurch and with accordance of the laws of Wisonsin. Certificate No. 964.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Certificate, Marriage, April 5, 2013, 1926, Calas Family Collection, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/9646. Accessed 01/20/21.