Wood icon of St. Barbara. The icon is outlined with a thin strip of black paint, then the main background is painted a dark green. There is a painted picture of St. Barbara standing holding a metal cross and a branch in the other. Barbara's hands, cross, and head dress are all gold metal. On either side of Barbara's head 'St. Barbara' is written in Greek. There is an old label on the back, most of it is peeled off. It is in Greek and English, you can make out Tsagaris Bros.
Donated by Marina Metevilis. The icon was made in Greece and was brought over in the late 1800's and given to family member C.A. Balafas in Kansas City, MO
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Icon, February 25, 2013, 1860 – 1930, Marina's Collection, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/9560. Accessed 04/13/21.