This is a stack of 3, small, half pint ice cream containers made of cardboard. On the fronts and backs, there is are several blue, parallel lines running vertically down the center of the surface with a graphic of an ice cream dish in a circle with criss crossing lines in the middle of the lines. There are thin, several horizontal lines running behind the image. Towards the bottom is written "Ice Cream," also in blue, with lines running horizontally on the top and bottom of the text. The two sides have the same decorative design, without the text.
The top of the containers have four flaps, when folded, that seal the box. There is text indicating patent number and volume of the container on the front and back flaps. The front reads "Contents one half pint, U.S. liquid measure, Approved for Massachusetts M-6" While the back reads: "N.Y. City approved type 109, Serial V-4, Penna. Approved Type No. V-4" The bottom of the lowest crate has a white sticker that says "Pauline Franks"
There is a woven string handle attached to the sides of the container.
Paulina Franks' grandfather, John Rassogianis, came to Chicago in the 1890s. He began his life in the new city by peddling fruits and later, with the help of his sons Alex and George, would open a candy store. In the 1920s Paulina Franks' father Constantine became a part of the family business and the store was able to prosper. When the second business closed Paulina Rassogianis chose to hold as many of the candy store's items as possible and, later, donate them to the National Hellenic Museum.
The Rassogianis family began their candy business in Chicago proper, working out of their own shop named "St. Louis Ice Cream Parlor." Eventually, the shop was closed and the Rassogianis' chose to continue their candy store venture in Berwyn, Illinois. The new shop they chose to open was named Alex's Sweet Shop.
Paulina Franks' father was a key contributor to the success of the Rassogianis candy stores. While Constantine Rassogianis was a noteworthy entrepeneur, he also had many other accomplishments. Among these was his four years of involvment in the Greek national military during World War I wherein he obtained the rank of sergeant. Also, he was a published author and poet, an experienced mandolin player, a church officer and had extensive knowledge of psalti.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact email@example.com
Box, Food Storage, 1920 – 1940, Alex's Candy Shop, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/8727. Accessed 09/25/21.