• 01420117188.JPG

Object ID
2011.7.188
Object Name
Contract
Object Collection
Alex's Candy Shop (is part of)
Date Created
1920 – 1940
Material
Glass; Paper; Wood
Object Entities
Object Description
This is the original lease for Alex's Candy Shop. The lease is framed in a dark-stained, wooden frame and is lined in an inner, red framing. The lease begins with "This Agreement," printed large, in bold, in the top left hand corner, with the rest of the lease a mixture of typed generic lease wording and written, specific information. Information on the Lease: Signed on May 1, 1906 between Joseph W. Filetz and John Rassogianis for the discussed property in Chicago, IL in Cook County. The lease exptends from May 1, 1906 to May 1, 1911 for the sum of $3,600 payable on the first of every month to the office of Joseph Filetz. At the bottom of the lease, in the right hand corner, both Joseph W. Filetz and John Rossogianis signed their name. On the back of the frame is a wire attached on both ends of the frame by two small rings, used for hanging purposes, in addition to a silver sticker in the bottom, right hand corner, that reads, "Carlson Paint & Art Stores Quality Printing."
Origin
Paulina Franks' grandfather, John Rassogianis, came to Chicago in the 1890s. He began his life in the new city by peddling fruits and later, with the help of his sons Alex and George, would open a candy store. In the 1920s Paulina Franks' father Constantine became a part of the family business and the store was able to prosper. When the second business closed Paulina Rassogianis chose to hold as many of the candy store's items as possible and, later, donate them to the National Hellenic Museum. The Rassogianis family began their candy business in Chicago proper, working out of their own shop named "St. Louis Ice Cream Parlor." Eventually, the shop was closed and the Rassogianis' chose to continue their candy store venture in Berwyn, Illinois. The new shop they chose to open was named Alex's Sweet Shop. Paulina Franks' father was a key contributor to the success of the Rassogianis candy stores. While Constantine Rassogianis was a noteworthy entrepeneur, he also had many other accomplishments. Among these was his four years of involvment in the Greek national military during World War I wherein he obtained the rank of sergeant. Also, he was a published author and poet, an experienced mandolin player, a church officer and had extensive knowledge of psalti.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.

Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy.

For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact nhmcollections@hellenicmuseum.org
Citation
Contract, 1920 – 1940, Alex's Candy Shop, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/8686. Accessed 04/18/21.