This is a rectangular wooden plaque with a top of a candy box cover mounted on the front. The cover is a blueish hue because it was attached with a wood stain which changed its color. The top has a grid-like patterning in the background covering the whole thing. It also has a decorative, dark blue border made of squares, within other squares. Centered in the middle is written "Alex's Sweet Shop" in bold dark blue type, with "Homemade Candies and Delicious Ice Cream" printed slightly smaller in the same color and font directly below the first phrase. Along the bottom left corner, it reads,"Net weight two pounds," centered along the bottom is "Phone Berwyn 6782," and printed in the bottom right corner "6823 Roosvelt Rd Berwyn, ILL" is printed. The top iteslf has been ripped from the box so its edges are uneven.
On the back, written in pen, centered horizantally is written "This is the top of the cover of candy boxes used by Alex's Sweet Shop on 6823 W. Roosevelt Rd Berwyn, ILL on the 1930's." Along the left edge of the wood "12-B" is written in pencil. There is no known meaning for the number. The wood is fairly clean, there are some green stains in various areas such as right below the main writing and in the right lower corner. Above the writing a circular metal hanger is attached with a bent nail to the center of the plaque.
Along the top of the plaque there is a brass, circlular piece of metal attached which stands straight up into the air so the object can be hung.
Paulina Franks' grandfather, John Rassogianis, came to Chicago in the 1890s. He began his life in the new city by peddling fruits and later, with the help of his sons Alex and George, would open a candy store. In the 1920s Paulina Franks' father Constantine became a part of the family business and the store was able to prosper. When the second business closed Paulina Rassogianis chose to hold as many of the candy store's items as possible and, later, donate them to the National Hellenic Museum.
The Rassogianis family began their candy business in Chicago proper, working out of their own shop named "St. Louis Ice Cream Parlor." Eventually, the shop was closed and the Rassogianis' chose to continue their candy store venture in Berwyn, Illinois. The new shop they chose to open was named Alex's Sweet Shop.
Paulina Franks' father was a key contributor to the success of the Rassogianis candy stores. While Constantine Rassogianis was a noteworthy entrepeneur, he also had many other accomplishments. Among these was his four years of involvment in the Greek national military during World War I wherein he obtained the rank of sergeant. Also, he was a published author and poet, an experienced mandolin player, a church officer and had extensive knowledge of psalti.
This piece was made to act as memorabilia for the family once the shop closed but the precise date that happened is unknown but it was during the 1940's.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Plaque, 1920 – 1940, Alex's Candy Shop, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/8685. Accessed 09/21/21.