Object ID
2011.7.140
Object Name
Pitcher
Object Collection
Alex's Candy Shop (is part of)
Date Created
1920 – 1940
Material
Tin
Object Entities
Object Description
This is a one gallon tin pitcher. The entire thing is the actual metal, including the handle. The pitcher is cylindrical in shape and the very top has an extended lip that helps with pouring abilities. The lip itself is actually quite rusted around the rim and where the lip meets with the base. Indented in the metal is the measurement "1Gal. liqd" near the very top of the pitcher but right under the lip. The handle was a seperate piece but was fixed to the pitcher, possibly by welding it together. Most of the handle is not thick but where one would grip it the tin protrudes to make it easier to hold. At the very top of the handle there is a little hole, it is perfectly round and seems intentional. The interior of the pitcher is quite dirty from the metal wearing away and at the very bottom it is more textured than the rest, probably from whatever the pitcher held at Alex's Sweet Shop. The indentation is more visible from the back because the front has worn away a little bit. There is some rust along the seam of where the tin joins with itself and at the very bottom, also along the seam. The actual bottom of the pitcher has a white grainy substance on it, probably from errosion due to use and storage. The edges of the base have quite a bit of rust on them as well, but the white substance is the most textured.
Origin
Paulina Franks' grandfather, John Rassogianis, came to Chicago in the 1890s. He began his life in the new city by peddling fruits and later, with the help of his sons Alex and George, would open a candy store. In the 1920s Paulina Franks' father Constantine became a part of the family business and the store was able to prosper. When the second business closed Paulina Rassogianis chose to hold as many of the candy store's items as possible and, later, donate them to the National Hellenic Museum. The Rassogianis family began their candy business in Chicago proper, working out of their own shop named "St. Louis Ice Cream Parlor." Eventually, the shop was closed and the Rassogianis' chose to continue their candy store venture in Berwyn, Illinois. The new shop they chose to open was named Alex's Sweet Shop. Paulina Franks' father was a key contributor to the success of the Rassogianis candy stores. While Constantine Rassogianis was a noteworthy entrepeneur, he also had many other accomplishments. Among these was his four years of involvment in the Greek national military during World War I wherein he obtained the rank of sergeant. Also, he was a published author and poet, an experienced mandolin player, a church officer and had extensive knowledge of psalti. Pichers have been used for many purposes for almost as long as man hase been able to make objects to help with food preperation. Pitchers made out of pottery were the first to be made and as technology and manufacturing evolved metal pitchers, tin in particular started to be made and used. During the 1920's tin pitchers became increasingly popular and widely distributed. This was most likely used to measure large amounts of ingredients or store liquids to be used later on in making things. However, there is no indication of who made this or any particular information on what it was used for.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.

Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy.

For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact nhmcollections@hellenicmuseum.org
Citation
Pitcher, 1920 – 1940, Alex's Candy Shop, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/8638. Accessed 11/26/20.