Object ID
2009.3.3
Object Name
Stereoscope
Material
Wood
Object Entities
Kalemeris, Stan (owned by)
Kalemeris, James (is related to)
Kalemeris, Stan (is related to)
Object Description
Wooden Stereoscope with magnified glass windows, metal wire (thick gauge) to place photographs, movable handle which folds parallel to photo holder so it is flat, and then folds down to act as a handle for viewing.
Origin
The stereoscope was first debued on a large scale at the 1851 Crystal Palace World's Fair. Looking through the lens at a pair of pictures creates a 3D effect. The tool grew to be very popular with middle class Americans. At the turn of the century stereoscopes began to to transition into public schools as educational aids. Underwood and Underwood produced and distrubuted stereoscopes from 1882 to the 1940's. The images are all from Underwood and Underwood. Stan Kalemeris was a patrol plane commander in Patrol Bombimg Squadron Eighteen in the Pacifc campaign of WW II (c.a.1944).
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.

Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy.

For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact nhmcollections@hellenicmuseum.org
Citation
Stereoscope, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/8181. Accessed 10/17/21.