Copper Baptismal Font with two handles at top sides and bottom sides. Three candle holders attached at top edge.
Used for baptisms in St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church. Made in 1928.
St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church was founded in 1917 by a close-knit group of Greek families. Curiously, the St. Spyridon school was established first, and the the church, although the opposite is usually the case. Fundraising took over 10 years and the church opened in 1928.
Due to migration of parishoners to the suburbs, the church decided to move to Palos Heights in the 1960s. After years of fundraising, the church finally opened its doors in 1986.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Font, Baptismal, 1928, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/7915. Accessed 02/27/21.