White ceramic kandili. The bulb of the kandili is white with a painted rose design. The kandili is wired for electricity. The top and bottom of the ceramic kandili are brass plates. and the tip has a brass chain as well. The electrical plug has an oak leaf design on top. The design was popular during the early 20th century.
Donated by Angela Ladias. The hand painted Kandili was originally owned by Kanella and Jim Kapantaris, circa early 20th century. Most likely used to light up their icons or religious center in their house.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Kandili, 1900 – 1950, Angela's Collection, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/7661. Accessed 01/15/21.