PAPERWEIGHT GROUND BREAKING OF HOLY APOSTLES GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH.
Silver scoop or flat, mini, shovel with a black wooden handle. The top of the main shoveling part is engraved with what seems to be a mini blueprint of the church alone with the inscriptions, "Ground Breaking, May 17, 1964, Holy Apostles Church". This object is mounted on a marble block with a piece of green felt underneath the marble block, transforming this into a paperweight.
During the late 1940s and 1950s, many Greek Orthodox families moved out of Chicago to the suburbs. As a result, on March 20, 1953, the officers of the Assumption Greek Orthodox Church in Chicago authorized a group of their parish members to organize a new parish in the western suburbs.
In 1961 the parish, consisting of 280 families, purchased a five-acre tract of land on South Wolf Road in Westchester, Illinois, for $43,000. As the parish grew, the building committee chose the firm of Edward D. Dart to design and direct construction of a new church building. The parish General Assembly approved plans for the construction in November 1963. On May 17, 1964 the ground breaking ceremony was held and construction commenced on June 6, 1964. On Sunday, September 13, 1964 the cornerstone was set, followed by the long anticipated "Opening of the Doors" on Sunday, June 27, 1965.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact email@example.com
Paperweight, May 17, 1964, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/7140. Accessed 04/14/21.