Brass cross with carved religious figures encased in glass shape cross. Cross has pearl beads on each of the four inside corners and on two of the three outer points (one is missing). It is standing on an ornate golden brass base that is decorated with flowers. The cross is housed in a wooden box that is covered in blue velvet material for protection.
About the time this cross was made and used:
Rebuilding the parish of SS. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church under the spiritual guidance of Father Mark E. Petrakis tested the resolve of the parishioners. Thus began a new journey with trials of faith. While construction of the new church structure was taking place, the community conducted worship services at the Episcopal Church of All Angels at 61st and Indiana Avenue.
The approximate cost of the building project was $250,000. It was decided that the final edifice would be on a larger and grander scale than the one reduced to ashes. The community thus embarked on a major fundraising drive in order to rebuild both the church and school. Various fundraising events were held under the direction of the building committee. In addition, many community organizations offered their help, such as: the Knights of St. Constantine; the Ladies Hellenic Society “Nea Genea;” Woodlawn Chapter No. 93 of the Order of Ahepa.
With the help of the entire community and all Chicago in general, the cornerstone of the new church was laid within a year and a half. An impressive ceremony was held on October 1, 1927. One year later the structure was completed and His Eminence Archbishop Alexander officiated at the Thyranoixia (Door Opening) Ceremony on October 14, 1928. The new life at SS. Constantine and Helen was made possible with the cooperation, generosity and support of the parishioners.
In 1927, Mr. George Dimopoulos arrived at the parish to become the psalti (cantor). He was a talented chanter and choirmaster. Looking toward the future, he was most instrumental in implementing many positive features that are still in place today. Understanding the importance of hymnology in the church services, he formed the Senior Choir. This marked the first female choir in the Diocese of Chicago. They sang the Byzantine music composed by Mr. Dimopoulos. His music would become timeless and a permanent part of the parish. His compositions are still sung today.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact email@example.com
Cross, circa 1930, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/7125. Accessed 09/25/22.