• 0031996501.JPG

Object ID
1996.50.1
Object Name
Plate, Engraving
Material
Metal
Object Entities
Kalpake, (is related to)
Access Points
Object Description
This is a label for Swiss Foods. The engraving shows four people around a pitcher on a plate. One woman and three children. Under each child is a name. From left to right it is the mother, Lillian, then the children, Anna Leah, Senya, and Connie.  Because it is an engraving plate, it was created in the mirror image of the desired end result; so all of the words and fonts appear in their mirror image. In the top left corner is also the word "Swiss" in all caps within a ribbon, with the word 'brand' carved in smaller font beneath it. The plate itself is convexly curved. The image is in a copper color, while the rest of the plate is silver. There are some flaws and along the edge of the plate.
Origin
The donor is the daughter and son in law of Gus Manos. Gus Manos. 1918- Started and stayed in real estate until he passed away in 1986. He would make leases for fellow Greeks who owned buildings on major street corners. He made most of the leases for Charles Walgreen I who was the owner of the up and coming drug company of the 1920's and would also make leases with Charles Walgreen II 1930- Met Sam Liacakis and his son George Liacakis owner of the Liacakis Dairy Company. In 1933 took over the dairy company and changed the name to Swiss Dairy which was later sold to the Borden Company. 1933- Married Lillian Liacakis and had 3 children, Anna Leah 1934, Senya 1940, and Connie 1946. 1940-Establishes Swiss Food Products Manufacturing, with introduction of Swiss Instant Consomme. Two years later came the instant gravies, the mushroom gravy came later. 1942 Swiss Products introduced their Swiss Instant Soup Bases. 1970- The latter part of the 70's, the last big deal in real estate came when he sold the northeast corner of indiana and 18th street which was the Eastman Kodak Building, to the Cuneo Press Company. He owned the Southeast corner of Indiana and 18th street for approx 40 years and sold it to the cith of Chicago who in turn placed the widow Clarke's house, the east of the building onto the vacant lot he owned.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.

Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy.

For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact nhmcollections@hellenicmuseum.org
Citation
Plate, Engraving, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/6589. Accessed 04/11/21.