Square copper Gayety's Chocoalte box. It is all solid copper color, both the lid and base. The center of the lid is embosed, with a mirrored material. Square in shape, about the area is a large bow with flowers coming off of the sides. In the center is the text "Gayety's Chocolates" below that it reads, "Net Weight One Pound." Underneath the embossment are the words, "Family Owned Since 1920" The inside of the lid is plain and a dark purple tone. The inside of the base is also in the dark purple tone. There is a gold candy tray on the inside with nine holding spots for the chocolate. The two outer row consist of three squares and the middle is two rectangles.
The Gayety Story is very similar to many other American success stories of that era. In the early 1900's, James Papageorge (Uncle Jim) left his mother and father in Tripoli Greece and came to America at the ripe old age of 9 to find work and make a life for himself. Armed with a good work ethic and a fierce determination to succeed -- young James Papageorge had no idea that while he was earning his living scooping ice cream for someone else, he was laying the foundation for his destiny – The Founder and “godfather” of Gayety’s Chocolates and Ice Cream in South Chicago, IL.
In 1920, Uncle Jim, now a young man, purchased "Gayety's Chocolates & Ice Cream". Located on Commercial Avenue next to The Gayety Movie Theater in South Chicago, Illinois. It was a popular place for date nights and family outings. Folks remember Uncle Jim (aka. 'JP') always at his post behind the cash register - Stern-faced, always wearing a suit and a tie, and smoking a cigar. Truthfully, he kind of looked like 'Al Capone'. Did you know that a Sundae only cost 50 cents, and 3 pounds of candy could be bought with $1.00.
In 1936, Lee (Father) started his career at the Gayety as an energetic 12 year old eager to follow in his uncle's footsteps. The Gayety has always been Lee's life-long passion. He worked 7 days a week except for the time he served his country in WWII and then again when he left to earn his business degree at DePaul University in Chicago. A good looking young man with arms like Charles Atlas and thick wavy hair like Liberace, the young girls would come just to watch him dig ice cream. Some most likely cried when he met the beautiful Angelene Chiou. Lee knew he found his "Special Angel", and in 1959 Angelene and Lee married and started a family of their own (kids: Jim, Lenore & Liane). The Gayety prospered in its South Chicago location until the Steel Mills closed and Lee followed our customer base to the south suburbs.
Decades later, in 2003, it was Jim's turn. Years of hearing customers reminisce about the old neighborhood made Jim want to re-create that same experience for both our new and our old customers. So he moved the store to its present location in downtown Lansing, IL. Lined with trees decorated with little white lights, flanked by family-owned storefronts, and surrounded by residential neighborhoods and schools, Ridge Road was and is the perfect place for an Ice Cream Parlor / Chocolate Shoppe.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact email@example.com
Box, Candy, 1990s, Gayety's Chocolates, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/6564. Accessed 10/18/21.