Six inch beige ceramic commemorative plate painted in sepia tones. In the center of the plate, there is a portrait of an orthodox archbishop in priestly vestments. He has square face, dark eyebrows and mustache and is wearing the tall cylindrical black hat (Kalymavchion) with black veil attached to it that drapes over the top and back of his hat and flows over his left shoulder. and outer vestments. He is raising his right hand in a gesture of blessing. Around the perimeter of the plate, there are two brown lines that run around the edges (about a half inch apart) with brown printing/text in between them. Text is in Greek and is translated: "Silver jubilee Archbishop Daniel Gamvrilis St. Nicolas" with the dates 1927- 1952 at the bottom.
The back of the plaque is lined with green felt and it has a wire device on the back to hang it from.
On February 25, 1929 a group of leading Hellenes, residing in Ottawa founded the Hellenic Community of Ottawa. A committee was elected for the management of its affairs with Peter Karson as its first President. At the same time the Reverend Daniel Gamvrilis accepted an interim assignment to Ottawa and became the first priest to serve the newly founded Community.
The plaque was created to commemorate these beginings.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Plate, Commemorative, circa 1927 – 1952, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/6526. Accessed 01/24/21.