A black-and-white photographic print mounted on cardboard. The photograph depicts a group of young men standing in front of a building. The men are standing in two rows. All of them are wearing military uniforms and holding rifles, and they have small swords hanging from their belts.. A man in the back on the far right is holding a Greek flag, while another man on the far left is holding an American flag. Most of the men appear to be in their teens or early twenties. The men standing on the far left and far right look older and appear to be the commanders. There are groups of civilians in the back on either side of the men in uniform. A sign on the building behind the men says "Hull House Boys Club".
This picture was donated by Daisy Agres. The man on the far left the picture is believed to be John Agreostathes. Agreostathes (or Agriostathis) was born in 1879 and apparently served as an officer in the Greek army before immigrating to the United States. In the lead-up to the Balkan Wars, he organized and trained young Greek men in Chicago. In 1912, it is recorded that they were preparing to travel to Greece to take part in the conflict. This is likely a picture of the men Agreostathes trained. The man on the far right may be George Petropoulos, who worked with Agreostathes to train the men. It is unclear when the picture was taken and whether these men actually took part in any fighting. The building in the picture is Hull House, a common meeting and socialization point for immigrants in Chicago, which was also close to Greek Town.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact email@example.com
Photograph, 1910 – 1913, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/4861. Accessed 11/29/20.