Ypsilanti Water Tower sign; posted to inform the public that this location is a registered historic site. The sign reads as follows: Day laborers constructed this water tower which was completed in 1890 at a cost of $21,435.63. The tower and the city waterworks supplied 471 customers in the first year. An ordinance passed on April 14, 1898, established a yearly rate schedule. Rates were based on the number of faucets in use, the type of business that customers operated and the livestock they owned. A residencewith one tap was charged $5.00; a private bathtub cost an extra $2.00. Saloon keepers paid $7.00 for one faucet, $3.00 for each additional faucet and $1.00 for each billard table. Each cow a person owned cost $1.00. People who failed to pay their bill were subject to a $50.00 fine and ninety days in the county jail. Until 1956 this structure was the only water tower in the Ypsilanti water system.
Ypsilanti (1793- 1832) was a hero of the Greek War of Independence. The Ypsilanti Water Tower (1890) was named in his honor, as was the town of Ypsilanti itself (1829).
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Photograph, 2000, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/4621. Accessed 03/07/21.