Black and white photograph of Avero House. St. Photios Shrine, St. George, St.Augustine, Fl
A historical plaque on the house provides the following information:
St. Photios National Greek Orthodox Shrine
Built 1749 - Restored 1979
This shrine is dedicated to the memory of the 400 Greeks who arrived in St. Augustine in 1768. Took on fresh supplies, then journeyed south to help settle the colony of New Smyrna, Florida. After ten difficult years, the survivors of that colony sought refuge in St. Augustine, where they gathered in the Avero House for worship. These pioneers comprised the first permanent settlement of Greeks on this continent. This house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Property of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Photograph, 1950s, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/4406. Accessed 03/08/21.