Object ID
F2015.60
Object Name
Box, Candy
Object Collection
CUPID CANDIES (is part of)
Material
Cardboard
Object Entities
Candies, Cupid (created by)
Stefanos, Paul (owned by)
Object Description
White rectangular chocolate box decorated in gold printing. On the top of the lid, in white on a gold banner, to the top left, is "Fresh Made" followed by the Cupid Candy logo. To the bottom Right is "Cupid Candies" in gold cursive and "each bite a fresh delight" in white on a gold banner. To the bottom left is "Net WT. 32 ounces (2lbs)". On the front of the lid in gold is: "Ingredients: chocolate:brown, granulated and maple sugar; nuts. fruit, corn syrup, dairy cream and butter, condensed whole milk, egg albumen, hardened vegetable oil, egg white, coconut, lecithin, salt, cocoa powder, honey, molasses, invert sugar, vegetable gum, spice, natural and artificial flabors, u.s. certified colors, and many contain citric acid and sodium benzoate". On the back of the lid in gold is "Main office and kitchen 7637-39 S. Western Ave. Chicago, Illinois 60620". On the short sides the gold banners from the top continue.
Origin
Cupid Candies is a family owned business, founded by Paul Stefanos in 1936, and has been manufacturing quality chocolate and serving Chicagoland residents in our own retail stores for the past 68 years. The first store was at 79 th and Ashland, where only fudge, toffee, and popcorn were sold. By 1940 Paul Stefanos, and his wife Pauline, opened another store at 3207 W. 63 rd Street, along with a small manufacturing facility, where the chocolate line was expanded. By using only the finest ingredients-dairy cream and butter, premium nuts, real chocolate and natural flavors- a practice we still use today, the company had grown into what local residents remember from their childhood-a candy store where the chocolates are made fresh daily-never frozen. In 1946 the manufacturing facility was moved to 3143 W. 63 rd Street, to accommodate the growing business. By 1956, once again, it became necessary to expand. A new plant was built at 7637 S. Western Avenue, which is still the current manufacturing plant. At that time "old fashioned" ice cream shops were added to the Cupid Candy stores. Currently two locations, 4707 W. 95 th Street in Oak Lawn and 9420 W. 143 rd Street in Orland Park, offer a complete sit-down and carryout soda fountain service along with the candy stores.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.

Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy.

For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact nhmcollections@hellenicmuseum.org
Citation
Box, Candy, CUPID CANDIES, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/10788. Accessed 08/09/22.