Square tie with orange detail and black background. It has an alternating pattern that covers the entire tie. One section of design is a thin horizontal line of small stars with circles around it. In between this and the other pattern are three thin black lines, almost blend in with the black background but is slightly raised and has a sheen to it. The next pattern is a scene of two men in armor, hunched over and walking in a forward motion. They both are holding a shield and a spear and both are wearing a helmet, chest plate and a longer skirt with boots. The background behind them is full of swirled patterns, crown shaped decoration and half circles. The three alternating patterns works its way up the whole tie and even onto the back. The back has a seem straight down the middle and at the end there is a small tag that reads "Wilson Brothers. Acetate and Rayon. Made in the U.S.A.' The bottom of the tie is about a half inch wider than the opposite side.
The Wilson Brothers haberdashery had its beginnings in Chicago in 1863, producing an exclusive line of white shirts. In 1886, a decision was made to move to South Bend; because of the quality and quantity of labor. Before moving to 1008 W. Sample in 1887, the company was located on the second floor of the old post office on the corner of Main and Colfax streets. Between 1887 and 1926 the company expanded its line of merchandise to include undershirts, pajamas, knitted underwear, neckties and assorted men’s shirts. Also during those years the facility itself grew from the original two-story building into a 9 unit complex covering 7 acres of floor space.
A group of women employees c. 1920
During World War II the company received government contracts to supply American troops with clothing but management had trouble finding enough women to work because of the company’s bad employment reputation. After the war, Wilson Brothers showed signs of decline, which continued after a merger with Enro Shirt Company of Kentucky in 1957. When the factory in South Bend closed its doors in 1975, pajamas and bathrobes were the only items still produced. The water tower still stands and still faintly carries the Wilson Brothers name
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Necktie, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/10641. Accessed 03/01/21.