U.S. Army Air Force aerial gunner badge. The metal badge is a pair of wings with a winged bullet in the center pointing down. There are two pins and clasps on the back.
The Gunner Badge was a military aeronautical badge of the United States Army Air Forces and was issued during the Second World War. The badge was first created to recognize both the training and hazardous duty of aerial gunners, who manned defensive machineguns on board such aircraft as the B-17, B-24, B-25, B-26 and B-29 bombers. The Gunner Badge appeared as a standard observer badge, upon which was centered a winged bullet.
The Gunner Badge was issued until 1953, in the newly created United States Air Force (1947). The Gunner Badge was declared obsolete and phased out in favor of the new Aircrew Badge (US).
Those having received the Gunner Badge were permitted to wear the original badge until 1955, at which time the badge was no longer authorized for display on an Air Force uniform.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Medal, Military, 1940s, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/10508. Accessed 03/07/21.