Wooden plaque given to James K. Chelos to honor his service to the community. The plaque was awarded to him by the Hellenic Cultural Circle of Chicago, dated February 23, 1968. The plaque specifies that the award was, "in recognition of his meritorious contributions to our community and to the service of Themis". The plaque is in the shape of a shield. There is a metal wreath attached to the top of the plaque, underneath is the piece of engraved metal which bears the inscription. Admitted into the bar in 1930, James Chelos served as a lawyer in Chicago until 1952, when he was elected to judgeship in Cook County. This made him the first Greek judge in Illinois. Chelos was also a founding member of the Hellenic Bar Association (HBA) of Illinois. The HBA is an organization which was founded in 1951 by Greek immigrants who had become lawyers. The organization stressed unity and community service among its lawyers. Themis is an organization in Chicago which helps young law students prepare for the bar examination. James Chelos, a lawyer himself, was very involved in helping young Greeks pass the bar examination through this organization.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Plaque, 1968, Eugenia Pilafas Collection, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/10095. Accessed 01/19/21.