Wooden plaque honoring Judge James K. Chelos for distinguished service to the community. The wood is finished and a metal plate is nailed into the center of it. This plate is a dark brown color with a bronze border. Engraved into this plate is an image of an evenly tipped scale, which is a symbol of law. The award was given to Mr. Chelos by the Hellenic Bar Association of Illinois. The award is dated February 6, 1971. Underneath the writing which identifies Mr. Chelos as a recipient of this award is a golden gavel which has been attached to the plaque. The back side of the plaque is two-toned, and there are the backsides of screws which have been used to attach the gavel.
Admitted into the bar in 1930, James Chelos served as a lawer in Chicago until 1952, when he was elected to judgeship in Cook County. This made him the first Greek judge in Illinois. Chelos was also a founding member of the Hellenic Bar Association of Illinois. The HBA is an organization which was founded in 1951 by Greek immigrants who had become lawyers. The organization stressed unity and community service among its lawyers. The organization still exists today.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Plaque, 1971, Eugenia Pilafas Collection, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/10093. Accessed 06/23/21.