Wedding stefanas, made of two layers of wax flowers and pale green twine. Attached together with an ivory satin ribbon. Each cream flower bud has a spot of green wax. At the back and front of each crown sits an open flower centered over wax leaves.
Belonged to the donor's mother, Toula Kouimelis Wright (Nov. 8, 1915-Dec. 17, 2004). She was born in Chicago, grew up in Athens, and returned to Chicago in November 1929. The Stefanas are from her marriage to Franklyn J. Wright at St. Constantine Greek Orthodox Church on the south side of Chicago on December 27, 1945.
During the ceremony the bride and groom have stefana, or thin crowns, placed on their heads. These two crowns are connected by a white ribbon and were blessed by the priest before the ceremony. The symbolism of the crowns is the glory that God is placing on them as a newly married couple within His church, and the white ribbon is a symbol of the couple’s newfound unity. As with the rings, the koumbaro will exchange the crowns back and forth between the couple’s heads three times.
Rights and Reproduction
The content on this site is made available for research and education purposes only. The use of these materials may be restricted by law or the donor.
Any other use, such as exhibition, publication, or commercial use, is not allowed except by written permission in accordance with the NHM Image Rights and Reproduction Policy
For questions on image rights and reproduction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Stefana, December 27, 1945, National Hellenic Museum, https://collections.nationalhellenicmuseum.org/Detail/objects/7719. Accessed 04/23/21.